It’s taken a long time but I finally found a solution to my storage/display problem for my CD collection. I have been searching for a storage solution for my collection since we moved into our house on Halloween 2006 and I have been met with dead ends. Back in our old apartment, we had high ceilings and I was able to use these beautiful wood cases from Bostonwood: a 900 CD case and two 750 CD cases. I posted updates on the state of my collection on May 9, 2007 and then again two months later on July 7, 2007.
This is the finished product — five Atlantic 448 CD cases without the doors.
The cases are only about 42-43 inches high and where the wall ends and the ceiling begins is just under 48 inches. The problem was getting cases I liked that fit the height restrictions and were economical. My wife and I found these at Best Buy on clearance for $53. Atlantic still makes them, Best Buy just doesn’t carry them anymore.
You might notice a little room at the bottom of each case. I did that for CDs I’m going to file in the near future. Nothing is worse than filing something in the letter “B” section and having to move every row in 5 cases over one space! The capacity is 2240 CDs and I estimate that I have about 2200 in there now taking into account the room I left.
The problem is that I’m going to need at least two more of these cases because I have three Rubbermaid containers in the other room that are filled with CDs and a growing pile on my desk!
This project will never be done! Head over to the Heavy Metal Addiction Flickr page for more pictures of my collection, click the link or scroll down the page and look for the pictures at the bottom of the sidebar.